Switch off-state resistance
Previously, the off – state resistance of a switch is 10 MOhm. I t has been changed to 100 MOhm.
For the atan2(x,y) function, previously, when both x and y are 0, it returns – 90 deg. Now it returns 0.
The current and voltage flags of R, L, C, RLC, and RLC3 were set to 1 by default. They are now set to 0.
Unary minus operator
The behaviour of the unary minus operator for variables is changed. Previously, the minus sign is part of the variable. For example, a =2, and b = – a^2 = (-a)^2 = 4. Now, the minus sign is not part of the variable. For example, a = 2, and b = -a^2 = -(2^2) = – 4.
Note that the behaviour for a numerical number remains unchanged. That is, the unary minus sign is considered part of the number, for example, – 2^2 = ( – 2)^2 = 4.
In certain cases, the set – reset flip – flop was not handled correctly.
Several bugs are fixed in the F2837x Target related to 3 – phase PWM, phase shift PWM, and trip zone blocks.
Several bugs are fixed related to phase shift PWM.
December 16, 2019 : 12.0.3
Current/voltage flags The current and voltage flags of R, L, C, RLC, and RLC3 were set to 1 by default. They are now set to 0. File reading in script Previously, if a .smv file was large, the script function GraphRead() would load the oversampled data. Now it will load the full data without oversampling.
SIMVIEW printing The measurement cursor and text were not printed in the printout. SIMVIEW data The functions “Save Display As” and “View Data Points” would save and show the entire data, not just the displayed data. SIMVIEW file When a .smv file was larger than 2 GB, the generated file would be corrupted. C or DLL blocks When the inputs/outputs of a C block or DLL block were connected to a mixture of power and control elements, the block was not handled correctly. Magnetic windings When there were too many magnetic winding elements, PSIM would crash. Piecewise linear source If a piecewise linear source had more than 100 points, PSIM would crash. Monostable In some circuits, monostable blocks did not work correctly. SimCoupler Module When a variable value was passed from Simulink to PSIM, if the value was too small, the value was not passed to PSIM correctly. Thermal Module The parameter “Number of Parallel Devices” in the Thermal Module devices in v12.0 was not taken into account in the loss calculation. F2837x Target Several bugs are fixed in the F2837x Target: – The dead time of the 3-phase PWM and phase-shift PWM blocks was not set correctly. – Library files “SFO_v8_fpu_lib_build_c28.lib” and “SFO_v8_fpu_lib_build_c28_coff.lib” required for high-resolution PWM were not included in the “lib” folder. – Bugs related to the encoder are fixed. F2802x Target Comparator 2 was not recognized.
October 3, 2019 : 12.0.2
New v12 videos HERE
Detailed description of the new v12 (PDF presentation): What’s New in PSIM v12.0
Voltage flag A voltage flag is added to all RLC branches and switches. With this flag, there is no need to connect a voltage probe externally. DPWM Three discrete PWM blocks, DPWM1, DPWMMAX, and DPWMMIN, are added. Square wave controller A square wave controller with variable frequency is added. Script A Wait function is added to the script to wait for all asimulate functions to return.
Current flag For 1-phase/3-phase diode bridges and thyristor bridges, current flags are defined as an array, not individually. Online help Japanese and Chinese online help is included.
C block The function “Check code” did not work in the C block. Analysis functions in SIMVIEW The functions “Average”, “RMS”, “P”, “S”, “PF”, “THD” in the “Analysis” menu were disabled, even though they were available through the Measurement dialog window. FFT in SIMVIEW FFT display in certain settings was incorrect. Also, curves of EMI standards could not be added. THD in SIMVIEW When there were multiple cycles of waveforms, THD result was not correct. LOAD/SAVE function The LOAD/SAVE function did not work as intended when the CTOP blocks were connected to capacitors. SCI in F2837x Target SCI output blocks in F2837x Target did not work. PSIMUpdate.exe There is a bug in v12.0.1, and the menu item ‘Check for software updates’ will not work, and also the program PSIMUpdate.exe will not work. This is fixed in v12.0.2.
August 15, 2019 : 12.0.1
PSIM Simulation In v12.0, it’s possible to define two simulation time steps, one for regular simulation, and another for switch turn-on/turn-off and narrow pulses. This helps to speed up simulation and improve simulation accuracy. AC analysis in SPICE The capability to perform ac analysis of switchmode circuits is provided when running SPICE simulation using LTspice. This makes it easy to obtain the frequency response of a switchmode circuit without deriving average models. Variable sampling in Digital Control A new Zero-Order-Hold (ZOH) is added. Previously the sampling position of an input in a digital control system is always at the beginning of a sampling period. With this block, the sampling position can be defined and adjusted. PMSM with spatial harmonic effect A PMSM model that takes into account the spatial harmonic effect is added. This model produces the ripples in the back EMF and the developed torque due to the machine slot effect, and represents more accurately the motor behaviour in the real world. The model is simple to define and use. 6-phase PMSM model A 6-phase PMSM model, with two sets of 3-phase windings, is provided. High-frequency induction machine model An induction machine model that takes into account the high-frequency effect is added. With this model, for example, it is possible to study the effect of a long ac cable on the voltage spike. Conventional and enhanced PLL Conventional and enhanced single-phase/3-phase Phase-Lock Loops (PLL) are added, and the design guidelines are provided. Built-in switch modules Built-in switch modules, such as 3-phase 3-level flying capacitor/T-Type/NPC converters, dual active bridges (DAB), are provided for easier implementation. Switch module controllers Built-in switch module controllers, such as PWM carrier controller, square-wave controller, and phase-shift controller, are added. Nonlinear capacitor model in SPICE A nonlinear capacitor model, which defines the capacitance as a function of the voltage, is added for LTspice simulation. Defining node names in SPICE The capability to define the name for a node and use the node voltage in a math expression is added. This function is very useful in SPICE modelling. F2837x Target A new F2837x Hardware Target, that supports TI F2837x DSP for auto code generation, is added. All major DSP functions, such as ADC, PWM, Digital Input/Output, SCI, SPI, CAN, can be easily implemented with the library blocks. FPGA board in PE-Expert4 Target Support to the FPGA board of the Myway’s PE-Expert4 DSP development platform is provided. With this capability, it is very easy to implement PWM control of multi-level/multi-modular converters (up to 144 PWMs with the PE-Expert4 platform). New elements A number of new elements are added to the PSIM library, as listed below: -10-winding coupled inductor -3-phase ac cable -3-phase PQ-controlled load -Level-2 npn and pnp transistors -Time delay block for logic signals -3-D lookup table -AC sweep function block with arbitrary source excitation profile -AC sweep probes for ac analysis in switchmode in LTspice Import from RidleyWorks It is now possible to perform power and controller design in RidleyWorks, a design software, and export the schematic into PSIM for further time-domain and frequency-domain analysis. This speeds up and streamlines the development process.
SIMVIEW The waveform processing software SIMVIEW is completely redesigned with new functionalities and significant improvements. New functions include multiple Y axes, stacked timing display, better cursor handling, overview window, etc. Thermal Module Previously, the thermal equivalent circuit of a Thermal Module device is implemented externally by users. Now the thermal equivalent circuit is part of the device, thus greatly simplifying the schematic layout. Nonlinear SRM model The nonlinear SRM model is revised to provide more accurate results. Reloading SPICE models and subcircuits does not take effect until PSIM restarts. PI and integrator For all PI and integrator blocks, two extra parameters “Lower Output Limit” and “Upper Output Limit” are added. By default, they are set to “-inf” and “inf” (“inf” means infinite) which means there is no limit.
Nonlinear PMSM model There was an error in the implementation of the nonlinear PMSM model, and it has been fixed.
March 25, 2019 : 11.1.7
Thermal Module Previously, a Thermal Module device must be manually selected from a list in the Device Database. In this version, the device can be defined as a variable, and the variable can be defined in a parameter file. For example, the device can be defined as “device1” in the parameter dialog, and in the parameter file, “device1” is defined as: device1 = “IRFP460” Script It is now possible to run a script from a command line window. For example, to run the script “test.script”, use the command: PsimCmd.exe -I “test.script”
MagCoupler-DL/MagCoupler-RT Previously, for linear motion, the upper/lower limits of the displacement are not checked. The limits are now checked, and when the limited is reached, the speed is set to 0. All Hardware Targets Changes are made to the SPI interrupt service routine so that a higher-level interrupt can interrupt the SPI service routine.
Script When a script contained multiple simulations, the simulation results were not saved to the same destination folder. SPICE Reloading SPICE models and subcircuits did not take effect until PSIM restarted. PIL A PIL output was incorrect when it was a negative IQ value. SimCoder Discrete integrators (regular or resettable, with or without limit) could overflow if the input value was too close to the maximum range. MagCoupler-RT For examples of PMSM with iron loss, the out-of-the-range error could occur in certain situations. This has been fixed.
July 18, 2018 : 11.1.5
Script functions New script functions “Formula” and “Eval” are added. These functions make it easier for formula manipulation and calculation, for example, when designing control loops in a s-domain transfer function block diagram. A new tutorial is provided to illustrate how to use these functions to design the inner current loop and outer voltage loop of a buck converter. Fixed-point range check in SimCoder with no Target For a circuit with no Hardware Target blocks, SimCoder can still generate floating-point or fixed-point code for a subcircuit within the circuit. In this version, the function to check the fixed-point range during simulation is added. This provides an easy way to determine if data types of fixed point blocks are properly set. PMSM JMAG-RT model with iron loss The MagCoupler-RT block for PMSM can now support JMAG-RT models with iron losses. Hysteresis loss and eddy current loss will be displayed, and internally a resistor will be added to each phase of the motor model to represent the iron losses. Chinese version This version provides Chinese language interface, with online help also in Chinese.
MOSFET (Eon) For a MOSFET (Eon) device, in the 3rd-quadrant operation, both the transistor and the body diode will conduct. In the previous version, it was assumed that only the transistor would conduct.
Oscilloscope in ac sweep simulation When running the ac sweep, the time-domain oscilloscope did not work in the middle of simulation. Time delay block in LOAD & SAVE When LOAD and SAVE functions were used in a circuit with time delay blocks, the time delay blocks were not handled properly. AC sweep in SPICE When running ac sweep or step run in SPICE simulation, probe names were not correct. AC sweep in LTspice simulation When running ac sweep in LTspice simulation, phase angle waveforms may have jumped from -180 to +180 deg., instead of showing continuous waveforms. Piecewise linear source in SPICE Piecewise linear voltage/current sources were not implemented correctly in SPICE simulation. MagCoupler-DL When a circuit with a MagCoupler-DL block was loaded, if the location of the .xml file was changed, the .xml file needed to be re-selected. But after re-selection, PSIM did not re-read the .xml file, resulting in incorrect netlist.
February 28, 2018 : 11.1.3
SiC and GaN loss calculation A new Thermal Module device type, “MOSFET (Eon)” is added. With this device, SiC and GaN devices can be added to the Device Database, and the losses of SiC/GaN can be calculated. Case studies for the Cree SiC device C3M0065090J and the GaN Systems device GaN GS66508 are provided in terms of loss calculation using the Thermal Module and SPICE, as well as transient simulation using SPICE. Eon/Eoff vs. Rg for IGBT The characteristics of the energy losses Eon/Eoff vs. the gate resistance Rg are added to the IGBT device in the Thermal Module. These characteristics allow users to calculate losses at different gate resistances. PWM ICs The following new PWM IC models are added: ucc38C40, ucc38C41, ucc38C42, ucc38C43, ucc38C44, ucc38C45, UC3901 A 40‐W power supply example controlled by UC3901 and ucc38C43 is provided. SPICE subcircuit models Proper images are assigned to all SPICE subcircuit models. Also, custom images are provided for use with users’ own SPICE models.
2‐phase PWM A new parameter called “Phase Shift” is added to the 2‐phase PWM block in all Hardware Targets. With this parameter, it is possible to phase‐shift 2‐phase PWM blocks. Hysteresis comparator The behaviour of the hysteresis comparator is changed with the functions of the two output nodes swapped as compared to v11.1.2. If a v11.1.2 uses this element, the connections to the outputs need to be swapped in order to for the circuit to work properly. Err vs. IF in IGBT in Thermal Module For the curve Err vs. IF in IGBT devices, the parameters in “Other Test Conditions” are changed to be the same as in the Eon vs. Ic curve. If the Err vs. IF curve is defined in an existing IGBT device database, the test condition parameters must be entered corrected before the simulation will run. Loss calculation in Thermal Module Previously, if the junction temperature is less than the lowest temperature or greater than the highest temperature of the curves, the curve of the lowest or highest temperature will be used for loss calculation. In v11.1.3, interpolation will be performed.
IGBT loss calculation For IGBT devices, nodes of the diode losses are not handled correctly. As a result, the diode junction temperature will be treated as 0, and the curve of the lowest temperature will always be used for diode loss calculation. FlashRelease and FlashRamRelease SimCoder generated code did not work in FlashRelease mode (for F2803x/F2806x) and in FlashRamRelease mode (for F2833x/F2803x/F2806x). PWM with Phase shift PWM phase shift did not in certain cases. CAN bus in F2806x Target In F2806x Target, CAN output message IDs were not displayed. PWM in F2833x Target When 1‐phase PWM with phase shift is used in a circuit, some PWM registers are not defined.
November 15, 2017 : 11.1.2
Release Highlights Watch the What’s New in v11.1 video here Script functions New script functions are provided to append arrays, merge graphs, and launch SIMVIEW. SiC and GaN model support (in SPICE Module) SiC and GaN models developed by our partner CoolCAD Electronics are provided in the new SPICE Pro Module. Models of the following manufacturers are provided: Cree, Rohm, EPC, and GaN Systems. Also, these models can take into account the heating effect due to losses, and estimate device junction temperature. These models give a higher degree of accuracy as compared to other models. LTspice simulation (in SPICE Module) It is now possible to run LTspice simulation from the PSIM environment. Both schematic editing and waveform processing are in PSIM. Support of LTspice simulation makes it possible to simulate all device models available to LTspice, including SiC/GaN models, in PSIM. On-off controller (multi-level) A new on-off controller is provided to interface either control or power circuit with a multi-level switch which can be in ideal, Level-1, Level-2, SPICE Model, or SPICE Subcircuit model. Inductor with hysteresis loop A new model is provided for nonlinear inductors with hysteresis loops. IGBT Level-2 model A new level-2 IGBT model is provided that can simulate the turn-on and turn-off transient of the device. Hysteresis comparator A hysteresis comparator is added. Bit shift A bit shift function is provided to perform left shift or right shift. Mod function A mod function block is provided to perform modulo operation. PE-Expert4 Hardware Target A new Hardware Target is provided for automatic code generation for Myway’s PE-Expert4 DSP hardware platform. High-resolution PWM High-resolution PWMs are supported in SimCoder Hardware Targets. CAN bus CAN bus blocks are provided in SimCoder Hardware Targets for CAN bus communication. Average mode for PWM Generator A new average output mode option is provided to PWM generator blocks in the SimCoder Hardware Targets. This allows PWM generator blocks to connect to average converter models, making it possible to use a much larger time step and significantly speed up the simulation. Video tutorials Many video tutorials are provided on the Powersim website. Now these videos can be accessed directly and conveniently from the PSIM Help menu. Search Help function A new Search Help function is provided in the PSIM Help menu. It is capable of searching through the titles and keywords of all documents, PDF tutorials, video tutorials, online help, and sample examples in the PSIM “examples” folder. This provides a one-stop solution for easy access of all PSIM help and resources.
Multi-level switch model and inverter model The multi-level switch model is enhanced to include all model types, including ideal, Level-1, Level-2, SPICE Model, and SPICE Subcircuit. Also, a 3-phase voltage source inverter with both average and switching model is added. PSIM and SPICE simulation Through multi-level modelling and automatic model selection, it is now possible to set up a circuit to run either PSIM simulation or SPICE simulation without any change to the circuit schematic. This makes the transition seamless between the device-level simulation and circuit/system and control level simulation. InstaSPIN block output New variables are added to InstaSPIN block outputs, such as the enable force angle flag, Rs_Ohm, Rs_qFmt, Ld_H, Lq_H, Ls_qFmt, etc.
LOAD & SAVE functions There was a bug in the LOAD and SAVE functions with circuits containing thyristors.
May 15, 2017 : 11.0.3
Sensorless PMSM Drive templates Four new sensorless PMSM drive templates are added to the Motor Control Design Suite. These templates provide the complete design of sensorless PMSM drives, with TI InstaSPIN used for position/speed estimation. Note that running these templates also requires the PIL Module. Motor Control Design Suite Two new blocks, “Dynamic Torque Limit Control (K_TA)” and “Dynamic Torque Limit Control (nonlinear K_TA)”, are added. They provide the capability to calculate the torque constant dynamically for better control performance. F2806x Target Previously, motor control blocks such as Maximum‐Torque‐Per‐Ampere control, field weakening control, and dynamic torque limit control, were supported for code generation for the F2833x Target only. Now, they are also supported for code generation for the F2806x Target. Precision of parameters The precision of parameters in a parameter files can be set.
PIL Block Previously the PIL block included time delay. Now the PIL block is changed to have no time delay, and users can add delay externally.
F2833x: Phase-shifted PWM The phase‐shifted PWM block in the F2833x Target did not give the correct phase shift. F2833x: SCI The SCI C group (GPIO62, 63) in the F2833x Target did not work. F2806x The FlashRelease and FlashRamRelease code of the F2806x Target did not restart after power off. MagCoupler-RT The MagCoupler‐RT did not work due to the wrong McHlp.dll file. HEV Design Suite The schematic in the traction motor template of the HEV Design Suite was incorrect.
February 24, 2017 : 11.0.2
SPICE Module The function to identify elements that are compatible to SPICE simulation and PSIM simulation is provided. This makes it easier to switch between these two types of simulation. SPICE Device Models Many manufacturer SPICE models are included as part of the SPICE library. InstaSPIN Parameter Editor A tool is provided to generate the parameter file needed for InstaSPIN. Based on the motor parameters and system hardware and operating conditions, this tool will generate the complete parameter file easily. InstaSPIN examples Examples based on TI DRV8301 EVM, DRV8305 EVM, DRV8312 EVM, and highvoltage kits are provided for both InstaSPIN simulation and auto code generation. Multi‐level Elements A function is provided to change the model level setting of all multi‐level elements in one convenient place. This function also provides the capability to check and identify elements that are compatible for PSIM simulation or SPICE simulation. Motor Parameter Identification DSP code is provided in PSIM as part of the PIL Module to measure PMSM motor parameters, such as resistance, inductance, and back EMF constant. The code is based on TI InstaSPIN labs for TI DSP. In addition, the code also measures voltage/current offsets, and designs current and speed loop PI controller parameters. Drawing Objects A new snap‐to‐grid function is provided to drawing objects (such as lines, rectangles, circles, etc.) created by the Edit >> Draw function for better plotting and presentation. SIMVIEW Screen Default Setting In SIMVIEW, the screen default settings (such as background color, legend font size) can be set in Options >> Settings.
C/DLL Block Resizing When C/DLL blocks are resized, the blocks will be resized in such a way that wire connections to previous nodes are maintained as much as possible. SimCoder C Block SimCoder pre‐processors are changed from single # (i.e. #if…#endif) to double # (i.e. ##if…##endif) in order to differentiate from the pre‐processors in the C language.
SimCoupler Block The status of the checkbox “Disable data interpolation” is not saved if it is checked. Motor Control & HEV Design Suites In both Design Suites, after files are unpacked, if users add additional parameter file blocks to the schematic, when “Update Parameter File” is clicked, all parameter files in the schematic will be overwritten by the same content. Changes are made so that only the original parameter file is updated. HEV Design Suite The “Traction Motor” template of the HEV Design Suite does not update design parameters correctly. C Block In defining parameters, division of two float numbers does not give the correct result. For example, “#define k1 3.0/2.0” gives a wrong value for k1. C Block The pre‐processors #if, #ifdef, #ifndef are not handled correctly.
November 30, 2016 : 11.0.1
Key features & updates of PSIM v11.0 include:
- Addition of new SPICE Engine Module.
- With the new SPICE Module, ability to export netlist from PSIM schematic for LTSpice simulation, for users who need to use LTSpice models and run simulation in LTSpice.
- With the PIL Module, new support of Texas Instruments’ InstaSPIN motor control algorithm, both for simulation and automatic code generation, making the evaluation and use of InstaSPIN easier.
- New script function for plotting (including Bode plot) and controlling simulation runs, including optimization.
- Support of SimCoder automatic code generation with variable switching frequencies.
- Enhancement of C block functionalities for both simulation and hardware code generation.
For more information on the new PSIM + SPICE Module and to request trial access, click here.
June 6, 2016 : 10.0.6
F2806x Target A new hardware target for TI F2806x series DSP is added. With this target, users can generate code that is ready to run on a hardware board using F2806x DSP. F2802x Target A new hardware target for TI F2802x series DSP is added. With this target, users can generate code that is ready to run on a hardware board using F2802x DSP. Battery model (lookup table) Three battery models based on the lookup table approach are added. These models take into account the change of the internal resistance. Peak Current Mode Control Support of peak current mode control in F2802x/F2803x/F2806x Targets. Large Scaling Factor Support of a scaling factor larger than 3 for F2833x/F2802x/F2803x/F2806x hardware targets. Digital Output Initial State The function to define the initial state of a digital output of a hardware target is provided. ISR Time Measurement A block to measure the time interval of an interrupt service routine (ISR) is provided. The time can be measured using a physical oscilloscope or through SCI using PSIM’s DSP Oscilloscope. Save Display As Function A function to save a waveform as it is displayed is provided in SIMVIEW. Curve Capture Program A utility program is provided to capture the curve from a datasheet. C Block in Standard Version When a standard version license contains SimCoder and hardware targets, C blocks are allowed but the number is limited to 50 C statements or 1000 characters.
Ultracapacitor Error report is added to ultracapacitor when input parameters are not realistic. Li-Ion Battery Model The Li-Ion battery model is improved.
January 20, 2016 : 10.0.5
IGBT-RB Device A new device IGBT-RB, similar to IGBT but with reverse blocking capability and without the anti-parallel diode, is added. Two versions are offered: a discrete device (“IGBT-RB”) and a dual package with back-to-back connection (“IGBT-RB (dual)”). Thermal Module The IGBT-RB device is added to the Thermal Module for conduction and switching loss calculation of IGBT-RB devices. A sample device, Fuji Electric 1200-V 50-A IGBT module 12MBI50VN-120-50, is added to the default Device Database. PSIM as Default Program A new function Set Default PSIM Program is added under the Utilities menu. By running this function, one can set this version of PSIM as the default program to open .psimsch, .sch, and .smv files when double clicking on these files in Windows Explorer. KV3x Target New Elements: The following new elements are added to the KV3x Hardware Target: PWM Fault, Encoder, and Up/Down Counter.
Improvements in SIMVIEW:
- A default color option for curves is added.
- The settings for all open SIMVIEW windows are saved to the .ini file.
- An option is added to display measurement in engineering unit.
- The measurement dialog box is improved for easier reading.
- The way the cursor line is handled is changed.
PIL Module: Improvements are made to the PIL block so that it would work with TI DSP’s other than the C2000 series (for example C6657). Also, with this version, it is possible to launch the Code Composer Studio and debug the DSP code in the middle of the PIL simulation. Li-Ion battery model: The logic circuit to determine the mode of operation (charging mode or discharging mode) is changed. Parameter file: An option is provided to save a parameter file in either ASCII format or Unicode format. Project view: The function to remove Study is added. PSIM Standard version: For Standard Version, if SimCoder and Hardware Targets are included in the license, the circuit size limit is increased from 60 to 150. MagCoupler Block: The value passed to the function call Set_DisplacementInConstant_Motion is changed. Previously, the angle difference between the current point and previous point was passed to the function. Now, the current angle value is used instead.
PSIMCmd.exe: The command line version of PSIM, PSIMCmd.exe, generated only .txt output files, not .smv files. Save All option: If the option Save all voltages and currents during simulation under the Options menu was checked, waveforms could not be displayed with waveform probes. Lookup table (external file): When the x-axis data was not monotonically increasing, no error was reported. Error check is now added. PWM IC’s:There was a bug in the following PWM IC models: UC3823A/B, UC3825A/B, UC3854, UC3854A/B. SmartCtrl: The SmartCtrl icon was always disabled. F2833x/F2803x Trip Zones: For F2833x/F2803x PWM generator blocks, the trip zone signal did not work properly in the cycle-by-cycle mode in simulation.
August 12, 2015 : 10.0.4
- Bug fix: Previously the keyboard shortcuts option required shortcuts to be in uppercase. This has been fixed, and now shortcuts can be selected for either lowercase or uppercase.
NEW PIL Module:
- A new Processor-in-the-Loop (PIL) Module is available. This will enable you to easily verify the operation of your digital control algorithm on a Texas Instruments DSP or MCU.
NEW PSIM KV3x Starter version:
- The new PSIM KV3x Starter version is specifically tailored for the LV3PH BLDC kit. The power circuit is fixed, while the control circuit can be changed.
Digital Control Module:
- A new PID controller (with reset) is added.
- The following function blocks are provided for motor control: Ramp Control, Ramp Generator, Sliding Mode Observer (PMSM), Speed Calculator, Encoder. These blocks, except the Encoder, behave in the same way as the corresponding blocks in the TI DMC Library.
May 4, 2015 : 10.0.3
- A new tool is provided to extract ultracapacitor model parameters from experimental data easily.
- A new circular buffer block with first‐in‐first‐out (FIFO) is added.
- A diode model with reverse recovery is provided. This model simulates the diode turn-off process, and helps to predict switching phenomena caused by the diode reverse recovery.
- A MOSFET model with turn-on/turn-off switching transient is provided. With this model, one can simulate the switching transient and design the gate drive circuit.
- A new ac sweep function based on the multisine approach is provided. This method gives faster results than the previous ac sweep method in most cases.
- A list of PWM IC, driver IC, and other IC models are added, including: UC3823, UC3825, UC3842/3843, UC3844/3845, UC3846, UC3854, UC3872, UCC3806, UCC3817/3818, and UCC3895. Also, IR21834, IRS21867, TC4423A/4424A/4425A/4426A/4427A/4428A, and 555 timer
- Previously, some PWM IC models (such as UC3823A/B, UC3825A/B, UC3842/3843, UC3844/3845, etc.) have two ICs in one element. Now, they are separated into two elements for better clarity.
- A new multi-level modeling concept is introduced in v10. This is based on the need that different levels of models are needed at different stages of the simulation. Multi-level models are provided for resistor, inductor, capacitor, diode, MOSFET, and PWM ICs. One can easily change from one level of the model to another with just the change of a flag without changing the schematic, greatly facilitating the simulation process.
- The function to select multiple elements of the same type and edit their parameters at the same time is provided.
- Project function for file management: The new project function allows uses to organize and manage a project with all the schematic files, graphs, and documents, all in one easily accessible environment. This function also makes it very easy to create a different study with changes in the schematic or parameters, and compare with the original study.
- A simulation waveform can be embedded in a schematic. This allows users to display key waveforms together with the schematic, making it easier for visual inspection and documentation.
- The function to select worksheet size is added. This allows the schematic to be printed properly on a variety of paper sizes.
- Network license management: In this version, the numbers of network users for PSIM and add-on Modules can be individually managed. For example, one can have a network license with 5 users for PSIM, 3 users for Motor Drive Module, and 2 users for Digital Control Module. This flexibility allows one to tailor the network license to one’s exact need.
- Parameter sweep revision: Previously, only selected parameters can be swept and only one parameter can be swept. In this version, any parameters can be swept and multiple parameters can be swept at the same time.
- External parameters in C/DLL blocks (Revision): In this version, it is possible to define a parameter in a parameter file, and use this parameter inside a C block or DLL block directly. This makes it easier to bring a variable value into the C/DLL block, and make the coding easier.
- The Level‐2 diode model with reverse recovery is revised.
- The way inductor core and material database is handled is improved.
- Multiple bug fixes from 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 are resolved. See this document for more details: PSIM v10.0.3 compared to v10.0.2
- Internal resettable integrator (bug fix): For both s-domain and z-domain internal resettable integrators, when the lower limit is not 0, the result is incorrect.
- DSP Oscilloscope for F2803x Target (bug fix): If only F2803x Target is included in the license, the DSP Oscilloscope does not work. The problem does not exist if F2833x Target is also included in the license.
- The function to add new EMI standards easily is provided.
Renewable Energy Module:
- A supercapacitor model is added. This model simulates the charging and discharging process of a supercapacitor. It also takes into account multiple cells in series and in parallel automatically.
- Two solar cell models for crystalline silicon and thin film, based on the European Standard EN50530, are added. The EN50530 Standard provides a standard procedure for testing photovoltaic inverters.
- The function to calculate inductor winding and core losses is added. Based on the core type and size, core material, and winding selection, this function can calculate the winding and core losses, as well as core temperature rise. This function gives a very quick and convenient way of estimating magnetics losses.
Motor Control Design Suite and HEV Design Suite:
- The interface of the Motor Control Design Suite and HEV Design Suite is improved. Now the input parameter dialog of the Design Suite is embedded with the schematic itself, and by changing input parameters, the parameter file is updated directly.
May 30, 2014 : 9.3.4
- Function SINH and COSH are supported.
- A floating voltage source is allowed in the power circuit only. If it is used in the control circuit, previously an error will occur. Changes have been made to allow the floating voltage source in the control circuit (internally a voltage sensor is automatically inserted between the voltage source and the control elements).
- Math function block: when the math expression consists of a single variable (for example, “x1”), an error would occur. This has been fixed.
- 2-D lookup table: when the number of column exceeds 128, the table cannot be read correctly. This has been fixed.
Motor Drive Module:
- Nonlinear SRM model: The calculation of the developed torque of the nonlinear switched reluctance machine (SRM) is incorrect. This has been fixed.
Renewable Energy Module and Design Suites:
- In the Li-ion battery model, the battery current is used to determine the battery operation mode (charging mode or discharging mode), and the threshold value that determines the operation mode is revised.
- When adding a new curve for a device (for example, VF vs. IF in a diode), currently the curve can be added using the Graph Wizard only. Changes are made that the curve can be added manually (by defining the data points manually).
- In certain conditions, the MagCoupler-RT block does not give correct results. This has been fixed.
- In v9.3.3 installation, the examples under the F2803x Target for TI High-Voltage Motor Kit were floating-point examples instead. Correct fixed-point examples are provided in this 9.3.4 version.
March 2014 : 9.3.3
- A space vector PWM block with 2-phase alpha/beta inputs is added.
- Include file and header file search paths can be defined in Settings >> Set Path dialog. This allows include file paths to be added automatically when PSIM is installed.
- For fixed-point code generation, the data format of a C block outputs can be defined.
- Previously, the abc-alpha/beta transformation blocks are power invariant. A transformation flag is added so that, when the flag is set to 0, the transformation is amplitude invariant; and when the flag is 1, the transformation is power invariant. This change affects abc-αβ, ab-αβ, ac-αβ, and αβ-abc transformation blocks.
- When one of the phases of a 3-phase voltage source is connected to ground, the source waveforms were not correct. This has been fixed.
- The parameters of the 2nd-order band-pass filter could not be swept in parameter sweep. This has been fixed.
- When the electrical node of an electrical-mechanical interface block is connected to ground, the speed should be 0 but is not. This has been fixed.
- The Multiplexer (4-input 3-control) block did not work correctly in the previous versions. This has been fixed.
Motor Control Design Suite and HEV Design Suite:
- The way the speed loop controller is calculated is revised, resulting in faster response.
- Previously, when input parameters changed, the whole circuit needs to be generated. Now, an option is provided to update the parameter file only.
- When a circuit contains too many MOSFET Thermal Module devices, an error would occur. This has been fixed.
F2833x and F2803x Targets:
- New: Examples of sensored/sensorless control of PMSM/BLDC/Induction Motor are provided for F2833x/F2803x Targets based on Texas Instruments’ high-voltage Development Kits.
- New: A new Encoder Index/Strobe Position block is added to the F2833x/F2803x Target libraries.
- The 3-phase/1-phase PWM generator blocks in F2833x/F2803x Target libraries have the parameter “Interrupt Trigger Position”. In simulation, previously the trigger position is always treated as 0 regardless of the actual setting. Now, the actual value is used.
- Two extra parameters, “Z Signal Polarity” and “Strobe Signal Polarity”, are added to the encoder block in F2833x/F2803x Target libraries.
- Support to TI DMC Library v3.0 and v3.1 is dropped, and support to v4.2 is added.
- The following changes are made to TI DMC Library elements:- CLARKE: Before, the input was 2-phase only. Now, the input can be either 2-phase or 3-phase.- PI: A reset option is added.- PI_POS: A reset option is added.- PID_REG3: A reset option is added. It replaces the old “PID_REG3” and “PID_REG3 with Reset” blocks.- RAMP2_CNTL: A new parameter “Initial Output Value” is added.
July 2013 : 9.3.2
Motor Control Design Suite:
- Previously, the Motor Control Design Suite works in real value only and allows only one sampling rate for both inner and outer loops. In this release, the control circuit can be designed in per unit, and can operate in multiple sampling rates (that is, faster sampling rate for inner current loop and slower sampling rate for outer speed loop).
- The design template for surface-mounted permanent magnet synchronous motors (SPM) is added.
HEV Design Suite:
- Previously, the HEV Design Suite works in real value only and allows only one sampling rate for both inner and outer loops. In this release, the control circuit can be designed in per unit, and can operate in multiple sampling rates (that is, faster sampling rate for inner current loop and slower sampling rate for outer speed/voltage loop).
Motor Drive Module:
- A Field Weakening control block for linear SPM is added to the Motor Drive Module. Based on the current reference amplitude, dc bus voltage, speed feedback, this block will automatically calculate the current references for Id and Iq for current control loops under the field weakening operation.
May 2013 : 9.3.1
- The following new elements are added: digital integrator with internal limiter, and 4-input/8-input multiplexers with one control input.
- Texas Instruments’ Digital Motor Control (TI DMC) Library is supported. The library can be used in PSIM schematic for simulation, and TI’s code will be used directly in the generated code for the library blocks. This helps further increase the code efficiency.
- Previously, Ld and Lq tables need to be a 4-quadrant table. Assuming quadrant symmetry, changes are made that only Quadrant 1 table is needed for Ld and Lq vs. Id and Iq, and only Quadrant 1 and 2 tables are needed for Ld and Lq vs. Im and theta.
- Previously, when a lookup table is very long, it takes a long time to load. Changes are made so that if the lookup table is over 500kB in size, one has to use the element “Lookup Table (external file)”.
- Bug fix in the thyristor model. Previously, the holding current value was also used as the on-resistance value. This is fixed.
- Bug fix for SAVE/LOAD functions. Previously, when a circuit contained nonlinear elements, the SAVE/LOAD functions did not work correctly. This is fixed.
- Commonly used EMI standards, such as FCC Class A and B, CISPR 25, and Mil-Std 461, can be plotted and superimposed on existing Simview plots to show if existing harmonic spectrum meets or exceeds EMI standard.
NEW Motor Control Design Suite:
- With top-level system parameters and specifications, the Motor Control Design Suite will produce a complete motor drive system with the motor controllers already designed. The Motor Control Design Suite is an add-on option to PSIM, and provides a very quick way of designing a motor drive system.
- Design templates for induction motors and linear/nonlinear PMSM are provided.
NEW F2803x Hardware Target:
- TI fixed-point F2803x series DSP is now supported. With this Target, users can implement a control algorithm in fixed-point calculation and generate code automatically for F2803x series DSP (such as F28035).
- An important feature of the code generation is that fixed-point scaling can be checked and adjusted in PSIM. Through simulation, PSIM can identify these variables that are close to or over the numerical limit, and will prompt users to make proper adjustment.
HEV Design Suite:
- The previous version of the HEV Design Suite supports only linear PMSM. In this version, nonlinear PMSM is supported. In a nonlinear PMSM, inductances and back EMF constant are a function of the motor current. The HEV Design Suite is able to design the controllers for nonlinear PMSM also, and provides a solution for practical applications.
- Design templates for series/parallel HEV, plug-in HEV (PHEV), traction motor, and generator for nonlinear PMSM are added.
Motor Drive Module:
- A Maximum-Torque-Per-Ampere (MTPA) control block for nonlinear PMSM is added. Based on the current reference amplitude, direction of the desired torque, and inductances and stator flux linkage, this block will automatically calculate the current references for Id and Iq for current control loops.
- A Field Weakening control block for nonlinear PMSM is added. Based on the current reference amplitude, dc bus voltage, speed feedback, desired torque direction, and inductances and stator flux linkage, this block will automatically calculate the current references for Id and Iq for current control loops under the field weakening operation.
- A Field Weakening control block for linear induction machine is added. Based on the dc bus voltage and stator frequency, this block will automatically calculate the reference for the d-axis current control loop under the field weakening operation.
Renewable Energy Module:
- Bug Fix in the Solar Module Tool. Previously when calculated values of Rs and Isc0 are less than 0.01, they will be displayed as 0, and the i-v plot cannot be obtained. This is fixed.
- Texas Instruments’ Digital Motor Control Library is supported. The library can be used in PSIM schematic for simulation, and TI’s code will be used directly in the generated code for the library blocks. This helps further increase the code efficiency.
- With Simcoder, even without hardware targets, previously PSIM could generate code for subsystems for simulation use. Now, PSIM can also generate fixedpoint/floating-point code that one can copy and paste into one’s own code for hardware. This is useful if one already has the code written but wishes to update the code for control. The control algorithm can be validated and the code generated automatically in PSIM. This allows one to combine hand written code with auto generated code from PSIM.
- The following elements are now supported in SimCoder for auto code generation: maximum/minimum block, space vector PWM block, round-off block, digital PI, digital 1st-order low-pass filter, and Design Suite control blocks.
- Previously, anti-windup is not implemented if a digital integrator has a limiter at the output in a circuit for auto code generation. Now, anti-windup is implemented and the integrator will stop integrating when the limiter reaches the limit.
November 2012 : 9.2.1
- In PSIM 9.2, the functionality of parameter files is improved significantly. Values of all variables in a parameter file can be displayed, making it very easy to check the calculation. Also, the script capability is added. For example, a conditional statement can be used, allowing certain variables to have different values based on specific conditions.
- In addition, a Parameter Tool menu function is provided a parameter file by itself without a schematic. Using this tool, one can perform similar tasks that one would do with other computational tools such as Excel or MathCad.
- The C block editor is greatly improvement. Line numbers are provided, and codes are colored for easy inspection. Also, function codes can be expanded or collapsed for easy editing.
- Several new elements are added to the PSIM library, including 3-phase Y/Z and Delta/Z phaseshifting transformers, space vector PWM block, lookup table (Simview graph), and multiplexers
- Phase-shifting transformers are used for harmonic cancellation, and they can provide phase shift from +30o to -60o.
- The space vector PWM block is for carrier-based PWM. It modifies the 3-phase modulation signals to achieve similar gain as digitally implemented space vector PWM.
- The new lookup table (Simview graph) block allows data from Simview files to be used in a lookup table.
- Functions of lookup tables are improved. Lookup table data can be edited directly in the PSIM schematic environment. In addition, for one-dimensional lookup tables, the output-input relationship can be plotted graphically
- The new multiplexers allow control inputs to be selected individually, making it easier to use in certain situations.
NEW HEV Design Suite:
- Using predefined templates, the HEV Design Suite automatically designs the power circuit and control circuit, and produces a system that is functional and ready to simulate.
- Four design templates are provided in the HEV Design Suite: Series/Parallel HEV powertrain system with bi-directional dc-dc converter; Plug-in HEV (PHEV) powertrain system, HEV Traction Motor Drive, and HEV Generator.
- The traction motor and generator in the HEV powertrain system come with the complete set of controls. For example, the controller of a traction motor consists of Current Control, Maximum- Torque-Per-Ampere (MTPA) Control, Field Weakening Control, Torque Control, Dynamic Torque Limit Control, and Speed Control.
- For the bi-directional dc-dc converter in a HEV system, Charging Control, Discharging Control, and Regeneration Control blocks are provides to regulate the charge and discharge of the battery pack.
- A lithium-ion battery model is added to the HEV Design Suite (and Renewable Energy Module). Based on manufacturer datasheet, the model can predict the charging and discharging process of a battery. The battery model can be used to model various types of batteries.
Renewable Energy Module:
- A lithium-ion battery model is added to the Renewable Energy Module (and the HEV Design Suite). Based on manufacturer datasheet, the model can predict the charging and discharging process of a battery. The battery model can be used to model various types of batteries.
- The function to pass a variable value from Simulink to PSIM through the SimCoupler link is added. A variable can be defined in Simulink, and this variable can be used in PSIM.
Motor Drive Module:
- The Maximum-Torque-Per-Ampere (MTPA) control block and Field Weakening control block for PMSM are added. Based on the current reference, the MTPA block will automatically calculate the d-axis and q-axis current references such that the machine generates the maximum amount of torque. The Field Weakening control block, on the other hand, calculates the d-axis and q-axis current references to achieve the maximum output power.
Digital Control Module:
- A PI controller and 1st-order and 2nd-order filters are added.
New ModCoupler-Verilog Module:
- This Module provides the link for co-simulation between PSIM and ModelSim where a control scheme implemented in Verilog code can be simulated in ModelSim and the rest of the system in PSIM.
- New SmartCtrl Version 2.0. Click here for highlights of SmartCtrl 2.0 as compared to 1.0.
- Digital controller design capability is now provided as an add-on option to SmartCtrl (as part of SmartCtrl Pro). With this option, one can design a controller in analog s-domain, define digital delay, and check the control loop stability with the digital delay taken into account. Once the controller is designed, digital controller coefficients for z-domain implementation are generated.
- Previously, after a controller is designed, only the controller is exported to PSIM. Now both the power stage and sensors can also be exported to PSIM, reducing users’ effort to set up the complete circuit.
- For dc-dc converters, the transfer functions between the output voltage to input voltage (audio susceptibility) and between the output voltage to output current (output impedance) are now available and can be plotted as additional Bode plots. These transfer functions are very useful in system stability analysis.
- Previously, a plant is defined through either a predefined topology or imported ac sweep data file. Now a plant can be defined by a s-domain transfer function. This makes it very easy if the plant transfer function is already available. In addition, a plant wizard is provided to help users define the plant model. This option provides great flexibility to create and manage power converter models.
- A PI controller is widely used, and users often would adjust the gain and the time constant to fine tune the control loop performance. An option is provided to adjust the gain and time constant, and a new plot is provided to show how the adjustment affects the control loop.
- The way to design the controllers of a power factor correction boost converter is improved.
- The numerical data of every transfer function (e.g. plant, open loop and closed loop transfer functions) can be exported to PSIM, MathCad, Matlab, Excel, etc., via a text file.
November 2011 : 9.1.3
Comparison of v9.1.1 to v9.1.3 here.
July 2011 : 9.1.1
- In PSIM 9.1, an option is provided to save all voltages and currents of a circuit automatically. After the simulation is complete, one can view any voltages or currents by clicking on a node or on top of an element.
- New models are provided to simulate the behavior of relays. Two models are provided for the relay with one normally open switch and one normally closed switch: one with two separate switches and the other with switch changeover.
- A model for 3-phase transformer with saturation is added. It can take into account not only saturation, but also residual flux as well.
- A model is provided for 3-phase ac cables. It takes into account inductive coupling and capacitances between phases.
- A new image editor is provided to create images for subcircuits or new elements. The image editor allows one to create consistent and high-quality images quickly and conveniently
- Previously, the length of the code in a C block is limited to 32,000 characters. This limit is removed in this release.
- Data points of a waveform in Simview can be displayed for inspection. The data viewer is improved to be more user friendly, and it allows easier selection and copy & paste.
TI F28335 Hardware Target Module:
- SCI (serial communication interface) functions are now supported. Blocks to configure SCI ports and define SCI inputs and outputs are provided. With the SCI function blocks, data communications between DSP and computer can be easily defined.
- A new DSP Oscilloscope utility tool is provided. Together with the DSP Oscilloscope, SCI provides the capability to monitor DSP waveforms in real time.
- New SPI (serial peripheral interface) function blocks are provided in PSIM, thus implementation is greatly simplified as it can be done at the schematic level.
Motor Drive Module:
- Models for 4-phase and 5-phase switched reluctance machines, with both linear and nonlinear characteristics are provided.
- For MOSFET, the temperature dependency of the on-resistance Rdson can now be defined and taken into account in the loss calculation.
New ModCoupler Module:
- The ModCoupler Module provides the link for co-simulation between PSIM and ModelSim for VHDL code support. With this Module, the power circuit can be implemented in PSIM and the control circuit in VHDL code, which can then be simulated by ModelSim for hardware implementation in FPGA.
- Transient response is provided to all structures, including double-loop and in structures where the transfer function of the plant is imported from ac sweep data. Previously, transient time-domain response is provided for single-loop structure only.
- To acheive better results, there is improved design for Power Factor Correction Circuit.
- The way PWM generators are modeled is improved. The improved version provides duty cycle limit and behaviors more closely matched with manufacturer PWM IC’s.
November 2010 : 9.0.4
- A number of new elements are added to PSIM 9.0, including: TL431, optocoupler, minimum/maximum function block, single-pole and Type-2/Type-3 controllers.
- In PSIM 9.0, default parameter values can be set to any values. In the previous versions, default parameter values can not be changed.
- When an element is inserted to a circuit, the wire segment that overlaps the element will be deleted automatically.
- Sometimes simulation output files do not need to be saved. An option is provided to automatically delete the output files when PSIM exits.
- PSIM 9.0 comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit. The 64-bit version allows PSIM to work with other software in a co-simulation environment, and to take the full advantages of a 64-bit computer.
- Different levels of wire thickness in the schematic printout can be defined.
- The setup in v9.0.4 provides the option to associate PSIM file extensions to their corresponding executable files.
- New functions to calculate power factor, real power, apparent power, and THD (total harmonic distortion) are provided.
- The Y-axis can be displayed in dB. The example below shows a harmonic spectrum in both real value and dB.
- An integrated calculator is created for Simview. A key new feature of the calculator is that values from Simview’s measurement window can be directly transferred to the calculator memory for calculation.
- A function is provided to save the display setting temporarily for later use. This function is especially useful when comparing results, or generating consistent display for presentation.
- When FFT analysis is performed, previously only harmonic amplitudes are provided. In PSIM 9.0, the harmonic phase angles are also provided. With both the amplitude/angle information, one can reconstruct the harmonics in the time domain based on the FFT results.
- One can save a specific display setting as a favorite, and apply the favorite to other display later. Multiple favorites can be saved and managed.
- Previously, the largest file that Simview can load is limited by the amount of RAM memory on a computer (roughly 1 GB). In PSIM 9.0, there is no limit on the file size. When a very large file (several GB, for example) is loaded, Simview will oversample the data file, and users have the option to load the data of a specific segment in full.
Renewable Energy Package:
- Two types of solar cells models are provided. One is the functional model that requires the minimum parameter inputs, and the other is the physical model that can take into account the light intensity and ambient temperature variations.
- To make it easy to use the solar cell physical model, a utility tool is provided that plots the I-V curve based on a set of parameters.
- The solar module physical model is improved in v9.0.3 to have better convergence.
- Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT). Three MPPT methods are provided: first-order differential, incremental conductance, and perturb and observe.
- Wind Turbine Model. With this model, a wind power generation system can be implemented and simulated.
- A complete sample wind power generation example based on a squirrel-cage induction generator is provided. The system consists of a wind turbine, induction generator, generator converter with current and speed control, and grid converter with current and dc bus voltage control.
- Two new complete wind power examples are added. One is based on double-fed induction generator (DFIG), and the other is based on permanent-magnet synchronous Generator (PMSM).
- The solar module physical model will model a solar module (which consists of many solar cells) instead of only a solar cell. An extra parameter called Number of Cells Ns is added. Also, a utility tool is provided to capture manufacturer datasheet information and derive the parameters needed for the model.
- A tutorial is provided on how to use the solar module physical model.
- New TI F28335 Hardware Target. This target will support any DSP boards that use the F28335 DSP.
- A tutorial on how to use SimCoder with TI F28335 Target is provided.
- With this target, users can set up a circuit in PSIM, perform the simulation, and automatically generate the C code for Texas Instruments’ F28335 floating-point DSP. This greatly simplifies and speeds up the development process of digital control using DSP.
- The way PE-View v9.7a handles multiple interrupts is changed. SimCoder is changed accordingly.
Motor Drive Module:
- A new interface is provided for the brushless dc machine model. In the new interface, all the parameters can be read directly from manufacturers’ datasheet.
Digital Control Module:
- The initial output value is added to the unit delay block so that the output can have a nonzero value.
- A new single-output circular buffer block is added. It simulates the behavior of a first-in-firstoutput device.
- A new quantization block is added. As compared to the existing quantization block, this block simulates the behavior of an A/D converter with a quantization error of +/-0.5 LSB (least significant bit).
- In PSIM 9.0, multiple curves with different temperatures can be entered for Thermal Module devices. The capability to takes into account the temperature dependency makes it possible to predict the device thermal behavior more accurately.
- Previously, the default curve of Tj=0 in device characteristics needs to be manually deleted in PcdEditor. This is done automatically in v9.0.4.
- The MagCoupler-DL block is improved to handle other devices, such as inductors, linear solenoid, and synchronous reluctance machine.
- New MagCoupler-RT blocks are added: 2-phase step machine, linear solenoid, and linear synchronous machine.
- V9.0.4 supports multiple MagCoupler-RT blocks in one circuit.
New SmartCtrl Software:
- SmartCtrl is a self-contained general-purpose control loop design software specifically for power electronics applications.
- Key features: easy-to-use interface, simple workflow, and straightforward visual display of control loop stability and performance.
- SmartCtrl can design controllers for both single-loop and double-loop structures.
- SmartCtrl introduces a unique tool called Solution Map to help users design the controllers. Control loops can be fine tuned easily, and control loop performance in terms of the Bode plot, the Nyquist plot, and time-domain response, can be inspected and evaluated easily.
- SmartCtrl is well integrated with PSIM. After control loops are designed in SmartCtrl, the controller schematic and parameters can be exported to PSIM directly.
- ac sweep result from PSIM can be exported to SmartCtrl for control loop design
- SmartCtrl 64-bit is added in v9.0.3.
December 2009 : 8.0.7
- Index is added to PSIM User Manual and SimCoder User Manual.
- For custom-hosted softkey network version, the service version of the License Manager is added. The License Manager can run as either an application or a service.
- In metafile images, the quality of the text in schematic files is greatly improved.
- In JMAG 9.1 added the support to more accurate Harmonic Spatial models. MagCoupler-RT is revised to support the Harmonic Spatial models.
- Previously, if there are parameter files in the main circuit and in subcircuits, the order in which the parameter files are read is random. Now the files will be read from the top main circuit level down to the lower subcircuit levels.
- Previously, data over 1 million points is oversampled. In V8.0.5, this restriction is removed, and the FFT result accuracy is improved.
June 2008 : 8.0.1
- NEW: SimCoder for Automatic Code Generation. SimCoder provides the capability to generate C code automatically from the PSIM schematic. With SimCoder, users can simulate a system in PSIM first, and then generate ready-to-run C code for specific DSP hardware.
- Event Control added. Event control is part of SimCoder. It allows users to define multiple states, and the sequence control between the states.
- A more detailed op. amp. model is provided. As compared to the existing ideal op. amp. model, this model takes into account the bandwidth limitation, as well as the output current limit.
- Linear n-channel and p-channel MOSFET models, that can operate in the cut-off region, active region, and ohmic region, are added.
- Multiple undo and redo functions are implemented in PSIM schematic. The undo functions allow users to go back and retrieve previous changes.
- More than one image can be associated with a PSIM element. Also, additional images can be created by users based on their own convention and traditions.
- When copying from PSIM schematic or Simview to clipboard, the metafile format is supported. The metafile format is vector based, and gives better image quality, especially when the image is scaled.
- Bitmap images can be inserted into a schematic.
- The Tip of the Day function is added. It provides useful tips on how to use PSIM.
- Values of probes can be displayed during the simulation, so that values of interest can be monitored continuously.
- The simplified C block is added. As compared to conventional C block, the simplified C block provides a simpler interface and is easier to use.
- The process of creating subcircuits is greatly simplified. In the main circuit, just select the portion of the circuit to be included in the subcircuit, and right click to choose Create Subcircuit function to create the subcircuit.
- The DC, AC, and Ground options are added to oscilloscopes so that users can choose to display the entire waveform, or only the ac option, or the ground.
- When parameter sweep is performed, additional plot is generated to show the output versus the swept parameter. For example, if the THD of a circuit is calculated under different capacitances, when the capacitance is swept, the additional plot will show THD versus the capacitance.
Motor Drive Module:
- New models for switched reluctance machines are provided. These models can take into account nonlinearity, and allow users to define the stator/rotor pole numbers.
Digital Control Module:
- The s2z Converter program that converts a s-domain function to a z-domain function has been improved.
- In defining device characteristics, previously, the x-axis is always the electric current. Now the current can be either the x-axis or the y-axis.
- The 3-phase diode bridge is added as a device type for the diode.
May 2007 : 7.1.2
- The idle time-out for the network version is added in V7.1.2. If the PSIM application is idle for a specific amount of time (defined by the user in the Options menu), the network license will be timed out and released, and other users will be able to check out the license. This will prevent users from locking up the licenses unintentionally.
- All the on-line help files are integrated into one single help file (psim.chm) for easy navigation. Also, the help file is now html based, and is fully compatible with Windows Vista.
- NEW: PsimBook Exercise for use with PsimBook® platform. PsimBook is a new way of documentation which allows PSIM circuits, which can be simulated by the PSIM simulation engine, embedded in a document environment.
- The tab function key is working in V7.1.2. Also, the limit of the code editing window has been increased from 1500 to 30000 characters.
- The device database of the Thermal Module is revised, and V7.1.2 supports Err v.s. IF (the reverse recovery energy losses v.s. the forward current) for diodes.
- A new MagCoupler-DL block is added to the MagCoupler Module for the link between PSIM and the finite element analysis software JMAG. As compared to the previous MagCoupler block, the new block allowsdifferent time steps in PSIM and JMAG (thus faster simulation), and provides better interface to the power circuit in PSIM.
May 2006 : 7.0.5
- NEW: The Thermal Module provides a quick way of estimating losses of semiconductor devices (diodes, IGBT, and MOSFET). Devices can be easily added to a device database using the database editor. These devices can then be used in the simulation, and device conduction losses and switching losses can be calculated based on device characteristics. Device information from the datasheet can be easily entered into the database or captured graphically directly from the datasheet image.
- NEW: The MagCoupler-RT Module provides the link between PSIM and JMAG-RT data files. JMAG-RT data files are obtained by running the electromagnetic field analysis software JMAG separately. The main advantage of JMAG-RT is that, since the JMAG-RT data are obtained from the JMAG simulation, the accuracy of a JMAG-RT model is comparable to that of a dynamic JMAG model.However, since JMAG is no longer involved in the simulation, the simulation is significantly faster with the JMAG-RT model.
- In PSIM 7.0, it is possible to interact with the simulation at runtime. For example, one can run the simulation in the free-run mode (the simulation keeps on running until stopped manually), and in the middle of the simulation, one can display node voltages and branch currents using the oscilloscopes newly added in Version 7.0. In addition, one can change parameter values at the same time and see, right away, how the circuit responds to the change.
- Enhanced Command-Line Option. The command-line option in PSIM allows users to run the entire PSIM simulation with a single command. Moreover, simulation parameter values can be controlled through the command-line parameters.
- A C interpreter is added to PSIM 7.0. It allows users to enter the custom C code directly in the C script block without compiling. The C code will be interpreted and executed at runtime.
- Magnetic Modeling: Basic building blocks, such as windings, air gaps, leakage flux paths, linear cores and nonlinear cores with saturation and hysteresis, are provided in Version 7.0 for modeling magneticequivalent circuits.
- The Power Modeling Block allows users to model a power device using the C/C++ code based on equations.
- The Embedded Software Block is a type of DLL blocks. But unlike conventional DLL blocks where an interface port is fixed and is predefined as input or output, the interface ports of the Embedded Software Block can be defined as either input or output at runtime inside the C code.
- With the Library Manager, it is possible to add custom device models, either in the form of a subcircuit or DLL, into the PSIM library, with the same interface as the standard PSIM elements. This makes it easier to share custom libraries with others.
- PSIM 7.0 allows users to create and customize the Element Bar and Tool Bar. Function can be assigned to the keyboard (for example, the key “R” can be assigned for retrieving resistor
- A Library Browser is provided which allows users to navigate and retrieve elements from the library easily.
- System Display by Color: With this feature, wirings of different types of a system can be displayed in different colors.
- In PSIM 7.0, simulation results can be saved in either binary or text format. When saved in binary format, the output file is reduced by more than half in size as compared to the file in text format.
- The overall interface of the waveform processing program SIMVIEW has been greatly improved.
Digital Control Module:
- Utility Tool to Discretize s-Domain Functions to z-Domain
- The interface of the SimCoupler block in Version 7.0 has been improved significantly as compared to Version 6.1. The improvements include: (a) PSIM link port names can be displayed in Simulink; and (b) users can enter and view the PSIM schematic files with just a click of a button.
Prior to 2006 : 6.1
Contact us for information on Versions 6.1 or earlier.